Wall switches are one of the most commonly used electrical devices in your home. You flip it over and over throughout the course of its lifetime which is why it is normal for it to experience wear and tear later on. Almost everyone has their own experience of a defective wall switch whether at home, at work or anywhere. Switches can get damaged over its course but it is easy to tell when something’s wrong with it. Below are the most common signs that your wall switch is defective and needs to be replaced immediately.

Spark

In some cases, a switch may produce a little bit of spark when you flip the switch on. There’s nothing to worry about a small spark because it is just caused by the load arc when turning off the switch. However, a big spark, especially when accompanied by a cracking or popping sound is an obvious sign of a faulty wall switch. Talk to your trusted electrician to find the root of the problem and repair it immediately. In worst cases, that large spark might lead to sizzling and smoking which is definitely a sign that you need to replace that switch. Power Pro Electrical is one of the trusted brands when it comes to electrical supplies such as switches, lighting fixtures, wiring and many more. Check out their collection if you’re looking for high quality materials for your home’s electrical system.

Unpredictable Lights

In most cases, a light immediately goes on after you flick the switch. If you notice that your lighting fixture takes a little while to light up unlike before, there might be a little problem in the switch. It can be caused by worn out parts inside, a short circuit or simply a broken switch. Replacing the switch is the easiest solution. However, if it still persists after you replaced the switch, the next thing you should do is to check the lighting fixture itself.

Unusual Noises

One of the obvious signs of a faulty wall switch is weird noises when using the switch. Sizzling, popping, crackling, buzzing or any kind of noise that wasn’t there before is a sign that there’s a problem within the switch. It can be due to some loose connections or simply a worn out switch. Simply replacing the defective switch with a new one is the best way to fix this problem.

Switch Feels Odd

By simply turning a switch on or off, you’ll get a hunch whether there’s a problem within the switch. For example, a switch may become suddenly stiff or lose its snap. When this happens, it means that the switch is already worn out and needs replacement. A wall switch that feels warm to touch is also a warning sign of a more serious problem. It could be caused by a short circuit or a loose connection that touches other parts of the switch. A qualified electrician can perform a check to trace the problem and fix it before it gets worse.

Wall switch problems are easy to fix when you deal with them immediately, avoiding bigger problems and costlier repairs.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *